Thursday, December 10, 2009

14 Miler


Jona and I went for a quick 5K run with Maggie last night.  It was right around sunset and the weather was unseasonably warm.  It was a nice run --- low-key and fun.

Around our lake, I started reflecting on the year and how we had just finished a marathon just a month ago.  Man, it feels like it could have been a year ago.  I thought about my training plans and races for the next year.  Is it time for another marathon?  We are both on such a high after our last race that another seems like a great idea.

Then I remembered my last 14 miler.  It was in late August and I'm pretty sure Jona had never seen a temper tantrum like the one I threw that morning.  (Do you love that it took me four months to confess this?)  I was so fed up with the heat and feeling tired.  I was so fed up with having to wake up at 5am to make sure we didn't die of heat stroke.  I was so fed up of "having to run" (apparently I had forgotten that this was my choice).  I honestly had a 15 minute cry in the car before I didn't run 14 miles that day.  Pathetic, I know.

After reflecting on that particular day I was reminded that running isn't easy.  It's really hard.   

I totally expect to step out onto the pavement and feel easy breezy.  But I have to remember that running takes heart, sweat, discomfort ... pain and tears even.  Is that why I do it?  Because it isn't easy?  No, I do it because it's rewarding.  I do it because I feel good after and during those long runs when I don't feel like I'm running anymore.  I run because it's the good thing to do for me - inside and out.

So I'll keep on keeping on.  Taking on the next race, the next run, the next training session, even though there may be temper tantrums, tears, and pain.  That's OK.  It's running - and I love it.

2 comments:

  1. I think i only throw temper tantrums when i have to wake up. I hate that part. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'd throw a temper tantrum if I had to run in that heat, too. :( I'm excited to start running again, but I, too, have to remind myself that it's not all ease and bliss. It will be hard getting back in to it.

    ReplyDelete