Wednesday, April 2, 2008

runner's high

thanks to rebecca for this awesome share:

a quick excerpt from the article:
The data showed that, indeed, endorphins were produced during running and were attaching themselves to areas of the brain associated with emotions, in particular the limbic and prefrontal areas.
The limbic and prefrontal areas, Dr. Boecker said, are activated when people are involved in romantic love affairs or, he said, “when you hear music that gives you a chill of euphoria, like Rachmaninoff’s Piano Concerto No. 3.” The greater the euphoria the runners reported, the more endorphins in their brain.

5 comments:

  1. thanks for passing this along. i was just telling someone the other day that i think running is turning out to be my prozac. seriously. it has been so therapeutic for helping me cope with my stress, which was affecting me in serious physical ways in the last couple of years. i've only been running for about 3 months and it has literally changed my life. anyway, i love this article. count me among the runner's who for sure feel the "high"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. also, hopefully you won't mind if I pass this along on my personal blog too... thanks again for letting me poach here - i just love reading other runner's thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's pretty cool. Thanks, Rebecca!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely get the "runners high" too. It took a long time for me to achieve but I definitely think of it as my "drug". Love your blog! I recently started a running blog as well. Training for my first marathon in December...

    ReplyDelete
  5. lisamarie: feel free to pass anything along from the blog! poach away ... we love it. i am so glad running has changed your life. it has changed mine as well. keep it up.

    steel magnolia: congrats on undertaking your first marathon. cannot wait to hear how it all works out. good luck!! we'll be watching!

    ReplyDelete