Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Nike Women's ...

It's kind of awful to say that this race was really an afterthought in my trip to San Francisco. But, it really was. Amid dinners, long chats, driving, shopping, photographing, shopping, (did I say shopping?) the thought was "Oh yeah, Nike on Sunday." Nonetheless when Sunday came around and Lindsey knocked on my door because my stupid cell phone alarm didn't go off, I was totally excited to take on the 13.1 miles ahead of me.

This will have been my fifth year running this race, and there is a reason I keep going back. I love it. For some reason this race gives me a hard time and for the past three years I haven't really "rocked" it per say. But the chance that I might, the challenge that the race presents keeps me coming back year after year. On a random side note, I just got an email from Nike yesterday letting me know a Legacy T-shirt will be on its way. Woot, woot!

The first 5-6 miles felt fine. Easy. Relaxed. Maybe too relaxed. I always feel like I need to go out conservatively in the first miles to save energy for later, but perhaps I could have been more aggressive. The hills between mile 6-9 absolutely posed a challenge. My brain wasn't quite in gear to pound up them. With a little therapy from Liz, I survived.

Around mile 10 Liz dropped off the course to use the facilities. She told me to go ahead and that she would catch up. So I popped in the iPod, got in the zone, and went, not knowing that Maren and Kaylynn had stopped to wait for me. I completely missed them. They waited, and waited.

I crossed the finish line, anxiously looking for my friends, who I assumed had crossed the finish line hours ago. :) They were behind me because they had waited. I felt awful!! I have amazing friends to say the least.

In hindsight, I'd like to look at Nike as a nice training run for New York on Sunday and take with me the following lessons:

  • Don't stress about the hills until they come. The anticipation makes the actual experience 10X worse. To stress about something that hasn't happened yet is unneeded.
  • Get in the zone. Don't think. Just let go and run.

I'm very much looking forward to this weekend in New York City. I'm a NYC virgin. Never been. Can't wait. This week will be full of relaxing, drinking water and lots o' sleep. Wait, and letting go. Just let the race happen, right Julia? We'll see ............

6 comments:

  1. I hear you've been eating junk food and having amazing easy runs. I think you need that mentality for New York...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are going to ROCK NewYork! I am so excited for you.

    Paint your toenails, make your feet look pretty, tell them you love them and they will love you back and carry you through the end.

    YOu are my hero!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always wanted to do that SF race! Looks like so much fun.

    Can't wait to hear about New York! Enjoy your week of relaxing and sleeping! And thanks for the reminder to LET GO.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You 2 girls on the right look like you're cold.
    I heard that the SF marathon race had a lady that got the fastest time ( sub 3 hrs) and wasn't crowned champion due to her not running with the elite runners. Crazy huh? You gals at the same race right?
    It's great to have friends like yours!
    I've never been to NYC either. I can't wait to get there. Have fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. molly: maren has told me the same thing. same mentality. let it go. no stress!

    erin: just got a pedi last night due to your inspiration!

    cropstar: we should meet up next in SF. you would LOVE that race. it's a girl's race for sure!

    dave: thanks for the encouragement. and yes, we were FREEZING. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't quite know what it is, but just talking about Nike is so exciting...and I've only done it once (last year!)

    I opted out of this year due to timing, but next year I'm all over it...and I'm so excited!!

    Can't wait to hear about NY!

    ReplyDelete